Saturday, May 24, 2008

Stanley

i was given a baby tree.  

and i set him on my desk and i forgot about him.  he was not planted yet, just in a tube and all wrapped up.

i finally bought him some dirt and a pot, took him out of the tube, and fell in love with him on the spot.


i waited too long to plant him so he is now under strict supervision in the Care Unit of my back porch.  

i even said a few prayers over him because his tiny trunk was splintering.  i checked on him the next day and he was leaning sadly to the left as if he had given up all hope for life.  

i kept watering him and finally got some dental floss to tie him upright.  

so now i've got to patiently wait and see if he has taken root.

 i dream big dreams for him consisting of long branches and a steady trunk.  i told God that i would try not to take it personally if He decided to take his life.  

i see myself in this little guy- all bent, splintered and completely dependent on the Lord to bring him life and grow his roots deep.    

we will see.

11 comments:

The Faris Fam said...

Hey girl!! That's so cute that you fell in love with a plant :) Are you a gardener...or a gardener in the making?

I drove by your house with Natasha and it's super cute and sooo close to us!! I am so excited for that. I could easily walk to your house.

Keep me updated on things :)

Bex said...

you the funniest person alive!!!

The Ice House said...

Go Stanley Go!! Go Stanley Go!!

Sarah W said...

You are funny and I hope Stanley thrives.

It was fun to see you yesterday for a bit. So have you gotten sucked in to the Bachelorette? I may like it even more than the Bachelor :)

lecia said...

Stanley...hope he turns out just like you...tiny but mighty:)

Sum said...

I hope Stanley makes it.

Otherwise, I might lose you in a long mourning period.

Ashie Nichole said...

Laur,

I am pretty much in love with every post you do, you crack me up! I have faith in the tree as well!! :) I also like how you compared our lives to the tree :) Nice analogy! I hope your back is feeling better! I LOVE YOU more than you know!

ashie :)

Ashie Nichole said...

Laur,

I am pretty much in love with every post you do, you crack me up! I have faith in the tree as well!! :) I also like how you compared our lives to the tree :) Nice analogy! I hope your back is feeling better! I LOVE YOU more than you know!

ashie :)

Dawntoya and Adam said...

Aw you love Stanley...I am glad that I got to meet such an important thing (I guess...we do know Stanley isnt a person right?) in your life:) Love you!

Molly Morgan said...

Such a tender story. Sweet little Stanley - and so much potential analogy of our lives.

Those Tonnes said...

loved this post. How is your little plant doing. So great that the Lord is showing Himself to you through the plant. Can't wait for more updates about the little plant.