Tuesday, October 9, 2007

the kaizen way



So Jerry has been reading a new book called “The Kaizen Way; One Small Step can Change Your Life." The gist of it is that large feats are accomplished by a series of small steps.

Side note:
As true as that statement is it’s slightly infuriating! Almost as bad as when I was a child and didn’t want to go to sleep. I would tell my dad I wasn’t tired and he used to tell me, “Lauren, do you know how God made little children? When they are still and quite they will fall asleep.” True as that was as the time it wasn’t what a little 5 year old wanted to hear.

Anyway, so taking this on Jerry decided that “every night we should commit to picking up our apartment for 3min”. haha! Yes 3 min! But to be honest I thought his goal was not bad- sweet actually considering I am the more uptight with the status of the place.
Here’s the deal with living in an apartment, it takes about two things out of place to make it feel like we are living in a disaster zone, at least in my opinion. Jerry thinks I am loco. Don’t ask if we have ever fought about this… So the point is I am really excited about our new Kaizen way of living.

We are also using this approach in my football training. I got a wild hair and volunteered myself to be apart of our staff retreat football tournament. What was I thinking? I really don’t know anything about football- which Jerry can not believe considering I was on the field for 4 years. I can’t believe it either to tell you the truth. I thought something would have sunk in?? But rather than recant my commitment to the team Jerry has decided I must submit myself to his vigorous training.
We just had our first “practice” and can I just say I have really improved! I learned to hike the ball and even run out and catch it! And I only got hit in the face once.

4 comments:

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

This is fantastic.

You know, Peter think the same thing about the apartment. One thing is out of place, and mayhem insues!!!

Pumpkin seeds...we actually talked about it, but neither one of us like them???? Are we weird?

Sum said...

I have alot of comments about this post.

1. love it!
2. you are learning football! this is amazing. you should have Kristen train you, she throws like a real quarter-back
3. I love the new cleaning rule. 3 minutes before bed-time!!

Bex said...

i have designated myself as your personal cheerleader for the staff retreat.

Nat Pat said...

hmmmm. maybe i should try the 3 min cleaning rule.i bet jerry is so ecstatic about you playing football.