Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Interruption!

So last week we were interrupted with the classic 'knock on the door.' Actually it was more of a 'frantic banging and doorbell ringing'.

It was a policeman telling us to get out of the house cause there was a fire. So we ran out around back and saw that our shed was in flames about 15 feet high going up the two trees and down the fence. Pretty quickly three fire trucks whipped around the corner, hooked up their hoses and began working on putting it out. (that's gonna be you Kevo!)

I am not going to lie, I was scared. I wasn't really afraid of the house burning down so much as I was afraid seeing a fire so out of control. The result? Feeling vulnerable. And I do not like feeling vulnerable.

But it is good. I hope to become one of those weathered women that knows and trusts in the Lord through experience of Him being faithful. Even when the fire trucks don't come and everything burns to the ground.

So I didn't exactly float around the fire trucks saying "Ah, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away" but I have hope that Jesus will finish what He has started in me. Even when it looks like we have a long way to go :)

Here are some pics i got once it was clear that the fire was pretty much out:









The aftermath:






And in come the demolition team:


First you hook the dolly (clearly)


Then you tie it to the truck

Then you watch as the impossible happens

Victory.


Little game of tug-a-war


Heave!


HO!


All in a days work!

(Seriously, thanks to all who helped, i know Saturday mornings are precious!!)

Post Addendum:
What caused the fire? Squirrels. They found little squirrel-home residue (nuts and the like). They think they gnawed off the insulation on the electric wires in the shed. If they found a roasted little squirrel I didn't want to know about it!!

11 comments:

Dawntoya and Adam said...

What caused the fire???

Nat Pat said...

man, it looks worse than i thought it was! so glad it didn't touch the house at all. josh loved getting to destroy the remains. thanks for giving my husband an opportunity to display his manhood. :)

Sum said...

Squirrels are just rats in cuter outfits.

Unknown said...

I am so upset that I was not there to a) help put the fire out, and b) help tear down the shed. The picture of Jerry with his arms raised after the top was pulled off is priceless.

Bex said...

HOLY CRAP! i had no idea it was that crazy!

Them Chandlers said...

Unbelievable! I bet those guys "hated" doing demo work :) Glad your house is okay!!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea!! Those squirrels you can't trust them! =)

Molly Morgan said...

WOWZA! I always knew yall wanted to get rid of that shed. The Lord indeed taketh away! Now who to get to haul off!!!!!!

Ashie Nichole said...

baby girl!! i cannot believe that...the poor shed. and the poor squirrel! :( I AM SOOO GLAD the house is okay!!! Praise Jesus for that! I am going to call you today!! I LOVE YOU!

The Lancasters said...

Wow!!! That is crazy! SO sorry about that! Let me know if I need to come help with the garden :)

Anonymous said...

Crazy! Glad you guys are okay. Miss ya!!